Wednesday, January 18, 2012

bake52: week 3-- Boston Cream Cupcakes

 This week bake52 is being hosted by our founder, my sister in law Amanda of girlplusfood.blogspot.com!  Amanda is my husband's little sister, and I have always said that the biggest perk of marrying him was getting her as a sister.  She really is the best and I love her to death.  {honestly!}

Now, that being said, when I saw that she picked this recipe, my first thought was.....

"Oh, give me a break!" 

Why??  Because my husband's favorite dessert in the world is Boston Cream Pie!!  I was instantly hit with a big case of wife guilt!  I am hosting bake52 in March, and guess what I picked... Creme Brulee... because it's MY favorite dessert!!  I hadn't even thought of looking for Boston Cream anything!  I totally accused Amanda of trying to be guilt inducing and she DID admit to thinking that Ryan would love these.  :)

The recipe was a process!!  First you made the custard/cream for the filling.  Then the cupcake itself.  And last, the chocolate glaze.  Then you assemble!

While I was making the cupcake I was getting a little worried.  I have to admit to being a total cupcake-out-of-a-box-mix kind of girl up until this point, and all of those cupcakes were really light and airy in texture.  I was picturing those and wondering how this recipe would work out-- it has you cut out a circle on the top of the cupcake, scoop out the cake inside, fill with cream, then replace the top.  These cupcakes, however, are so sturdy!  The texture reminded me more of a cornbread muffin or something. 

 {cupcakes baked and cooling!}

 {Glazed with the chocolate}


 {After cooling, the chocolate set up and sealed the tops so you couldn't see it had been cut}

{a shot of the inside, cream filled!  yum!}

I love how in a lot of those pictures, you can see little arms hanging out right on the edge of the pictures... these things smelled amazing while I was preparing them and my three children were DYING to get one!!!  While I was making them, our little neighbor stopped by and was watching me put them together.  She said in a wistful voice, "If I lived in this house I would eat one of those cupcakes later on tonight...."  It was so cute!!  I totally had to run a plate nextdoor and let her try some.

These cupcakes were a huge hit at our home and I think what I loved about them is how show-stopping they are!!  They look like an amazing about of work went into them {and let's face it, an amazing amount did!}  They are something I am definitely going to make again for special occasions-- like my husband's birthday!!! 

You can find the recipe here on Amanda's blog! 
girlplusfood.blogspot.com/2012/01/bake-52-boston-cream-cupcakes.html

4 comments:

  1. I'm a out-of-the-box cake/cupcake maker too, so I was a little overwhelmed at how much work it is to make this stuff from scratch!

    Your chocolate poured so much better than mine...they look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! We loved them over here too... and I'm with you, they'll make a great "special occasion" dessert. Worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify, I picked them because I wanted to make them and then I was thinking about everyone in the group and wondering if anyone else would be excited about them, or as excited as I would be. Then I thought, "Ryan would love these." It made me feel better to know I would have at least one person involved in all this who would agree with me. ;) Your cupcakes turned out beautifully! When I took mine out of the oven, they didn't look nearly that great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I lived in your house, I would have eaten one of those later that night.

    ReplyDelete