Wednesday, January 11, 2012

bake52: week 2-- Bran Muffins


bake52 this week is being hosted by Valerie!  She knew we were all going to be in a sugar coma after the holidays and selected Bran Muffins for us to make this week. 

Like last week's Quiche, one of my first thoughts was-- "My kids will never eat these!"  But like last week's Quiche-- they gobbled them up!  I was so surprised but this recipe was also a kid pleaser at my house.  I bet everyone is going to stop believing me now when I say that they are picky eaters! :)

 When I was working on making the recipe, I got to this stage and wondered if I had done things right.  I'd doubled it to make 24 muffins, and the batter was just so sticky and thick I was picturing them coming out of the over like little bran rocks!!  I was really nervous.  I was so surprised when they transformed into light and moist muffins!  Surprised and relieved.  How embarrassed would I have been to get kicked out of the making group on week two for failing at Bran Muffins?? 

 I was reading in the muffin section of the book and they suggested forgoing muffin tin liners-- I had never done that before but they really did do just fine without the paper liners. 

 They almost look like little balls of ice cream to me in this photo!



 Here is a close up of the muffin-- I was so surprised at the light and moist texture!

All ready to serve! 

I'm not sure if the chocolate color fooled the kids into suspending judgement on these or what, but they really did eat them up.  My 4th grader even specifically requested that I put them in his lunch the next day.  To me, they had a strong bran flavor with hints of molasses.  I liked the raisin plumping technique the recipe took you through, and will be doing that to my oatmeal cookies too from now on!  You can go to Valerie's blog here for the recipe: http://sugarcoatedsaga.blogspot.com/2012/01/week-2-bran-muffins.html

I am already getting exited for next week: Boston Cream Cupcakes!  Yum!  Good thing we got our fiber in while we could!!




3 comments:

  1. My kid loved them too! And I have to admit I ate quite a few fake-healthy or not. :) I love that Ben requested one for his lunch, that kid kills me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my kids also liked them. What fun to try something I would never have looked twice at myself. And I agree, great technique with the raisin plumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bran muffins.
    Great brand new Mom food.

    ReplyDelete