Wednesday, February 8, 2012

bake52: week 6-- Challah

 Jennifer at ZollyZoo  was our host this week for bake52 and she chose Challah for us all to bake! 
I found this article on Wikipedia and learned a little bit more about Challah.  I'm kind of a nerd like that but I liked reading the history and meaning behind what we were making!! 
 Here is a picture of what the recipe described as the dough sticking to the bottom of the bowl but not the sides.  I was nervous it wouldn't really do this, but low and behold, there it is!!

I always have issues with underdone bread.  I think it's because I'm so scared of burning it-- but my family has consumed more than their fair share of gooey bread!  I finally came across one of these babies-- an internal probe with an alarm!!  I LOVE IT!  Bread is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees.  I took these picture because without that probe, I would have taken the bread out waaaay too early- with almost 14 minutes left and with it only being at a temperature of 140 degrees-- because look at how golden brown the top was already!! 



It's like kitchen magic or something, but when my timer went off that the bread's internal temperature was 200 degrees, the oven only had 3 minutes left to cook.  It's like they tested these recipes or something. :) 

 I have the cutest bread "basket" that my neighbors gave me for my last birthday-- I love that thing and use it all the time!  It was the perfect size for the Challah! 


 The bread sliced up well and was DONE all the way through!!  SUCCESS!! :)  No more gooey bread!  {Unless it's banana bread-- we have to have that gooey!!} 


 It was browned well but cooked all the way through.  It had a great texture and mild flavor-- I think the real "wow" factor here is the fancy braid.  It sure looks impressive, but there is an easy trick to it!!  Visit Jennifer to see how to make it and for the recipe!


 Thanks, Jennifer, for picking such a fun recipe! 



6 comments:

  1. Your bread looks awesome, I bet the guests were so impressed! I need one of those thermometer dealies! I feel like all recipes these day specify and internal temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice that more and more, too!! It's been so nice to have. I can't believe you don't have one-- aren't you the gadget girl?? :)

      Delete
  2. Your bread looks great! I thought the braiding was so much fun. LOVE the bread basket... and where did you get that probe? NEED one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah-- I found mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond for a very reasonable price!! It makes me so much more confident in the kitchen so I think it's worth every penny! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for enlightening us with the probe gadget, it is on my list of must-haves now! I want a cute bread basket too. At least I have the KitchenAid now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, Challah. I love that bread although I haven't had it in years. I got the recipe almost 15 years ago when I did a study abroad in Jerusalem. I never make it because I get so confused with the instructions. I'll have to try this recipe out and see how it compares.

    ReplyDelete