Wednesday, April 11, 2012

bake52: week 15-- Chocolate Blackout Cake

Courtney was our host for bake52 this week!  She chose Chocolate Blackout Cake.

Girls, I'm not going to lie- I totally bombed this week.  My husband and children tried to cheerfully suffer through eating this baby, but seriously-- it was just because they love me.  It was truly awful.

I think it all went wrong with my choice of substitutions for the coffee in the cake.   I decided to puree blueberries to compliment the chocolate.  I should have known something was wrong when the recipe said the cake batter should be thin, and mine was like the consistency of brownies:

 oops.

Then, as my cake layers were cooling, the insides caved in.
 And in one case, just melted through my cooling rack:

 big oops. 

The final cake just did not look appealing to me-- it reminded me of a completely charred hamburger patty.  How is that for appetizing?!?! 

 Also, if I closed my eyes, I thought I was eating a blueberry muffin.  It was the weirdest thing.

Lesson learned: don't substitute blueberries for coffee.  And if I haven't completly disgusted you, you can visit http://cookinwithsnort.weebly.com/      for the recipe!


2.




7 comments:

  1. I am sorry it didn't turn out. I hate the feeling of your hard work blowing up in your face. I am impressed you stuck it out through the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that it tasted like a blueberry muffin! At least it didn't taste like a charred hamburger patty! ;) It still look great though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a good laugh out of your post. Good to know blueberries don't work. Although I have heard of mixing in blueberries with hamburger meat so maybe you can try that next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry it didn't work - frustrating after spending so much time, but I'm glad you didn't take it too hard - your post really made me laugh! Good to know that blueberries are not equal to coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gave me a good chuckle! Thanks for posting it anyways! I'm seriously impressed that you kept going with it even when that one melted through the cooking rack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it didn't work out but I have to admit this post made me laugh! That is so sad/funny how the cake melted on the cooling rack! lol

    Whenever a recipe I am making calls for coffee I just use the same amount of hot chocolate! For example in this recipe: http://lovetobeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/black-magic-cake-wo-coffee.html

    It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry this didn't turn out. So weird. I wonder what went wrong. My husband and I giggled a bit too. Thanks for your honesty, you're a good sport. There's always next week, right?

    ReplyDelete